Independence Series: May 8-13, 2018
Day 1 (Tue, May 8): Lums Pond State Park, Bear, Delaware
Day 2 (Wed, May 9): Fair Hills NRMA, Elkton, Maryland
Day 3 (Thu, May 10): Daniel Boone Homestead, Birdsboro, Pennsylvania
Day 4 (Fri, May 11): Stokes State Forest, Branchville, New Jersey
Day 5 (Sat, May 12): Port Jervis, New York
Day 6 (Sun, May 13): Matamoras, Pennsylvania
*NOTE: The order of days 4 and 5 has been reversed for 2018, making NJ day 4 and NY day 5. A second PA course has also been added for 2018 (day 6)!
Series Dates: Tuesday, May 8-Sunday, May 13, 2018.
Race Times: All races in this series will begin at 6:00 AM EDT.
Packet Pickup: Monday, May 7, 4-6 PM, Lums Pond State Park, Bear DE. Free pasta dinner will be served during packet pickup, at the same location.
Race Day Packet Pickup/Registration: One hour before start time on race day, at the start line. (Early starters may pick up packets on race morning, beginning 30 minutes before early start time.)
Early Start: Yes, for 50K, marathon, and half marathon only. One hour before regular start time, every day.
Average Temps: 69 high/49 low
Time Limit: None. We have a “no runner left behind” policy, and we happily stay until the final finisher crosses the line. Walkers are always welcome!
Pets/Strollers: Pets are not allowed, for the safety and comfort of our runners/walkers; you’re welcome to bring a stroller if you have small children.
Group dinners, hotels, and airports: Check Independence Series Facebook Group.
Discounts: $10 discount on marathon/half marathon to active military, as well as members of any club that will list these events on their calendar. (Active.com requires a code to receive discount, which you can find on the club’s site or by contacting us.) We also offer a discount for local participants; contact us for details.
Food/Aid Stations: Due to our unique multi-loop course setup, we have one giant “aid station,” with more food and drink than you could ever need! Ask anyone who’s run at least one of our races; we’ve got everything from fruit to jelly beans to sandwiches, water to Gatorade to hot coffee, and everything in between. Way more than just granola bars and bananas–we even have our very own mobile kitchen, Loony Lunchbox!
Registration information is below. You may do any number of races; special medals are awarded to those who complete all six!
- Day 1: Delaware
- Lums Pond State Park (Start will be at Area 1)
- 1042 Howell School Road
- Bear, DE 19701
- GPS: N 39.55878, W 75.71463 (Park entrance; park roads not on Garmin)
- Terrain: grass, dirt, pavement, very flat
- Day 2: Maryland
- Fair Hills Natural Resources Management Area (Start will be by the horse track and 4-H barns; follow arrows from 273 (Telegraph Rd))
- Elkton, MD 21921
- GPS: N 39.70017, W 75.85690
- Terrain: Pavement, medium gravel, fine gravel, grass, a few small hills
- Day 3: Pensylvania
- Daniel Boone Homestead
- 400 Daniel Boone Road
- Birdsboro, PA 19508
- GPS: N 40.29717, W 75.79566
- Terrain: Pavement and gravel, some hills
- Day 4: New Jersey
- Stokes State Forest
- 1 Coursen Road
- Branchville, NJ
- GPS: N 41.20631, W 74.77500 (Go 1.8 miles down Coursen Road from park entrance)
- Terrain: Asphalt, rather hilly, rolling through dense forest
- Day 5: New York
- Riverside Park and Recreation Area
- 4th Street
- Port Jervis, NY
- GPS: N 41.37161, W 74.69205
- Terrain: Asphalt, crushed gravel, some dirt, and small rolling hills
- Day 6: Pensylvania
- Airport Park
- 701 Avenue Q
- Matamoras, PA 18336
- GPS: N 41.362418, W 74.697759
Travel distances/times between race locations:
- Day 1 (DE) => Day 2 (MD): 11 miles, 0:14
- Day 2 (MD) => Day 3 (PA): 60 miles, 1:26
- Day 3 (PA) => Day 4 (NJ): 107 miles, 2:17
- Day 4 (NJ) => Day 5 (NY): 22 miles, 0:30
- Day 5 (NY) => Day 6 (PA): 2 miles, 0:03
What about the bling?
We all know that’s the best part! Every participant (full or half marathon or 5K) will receive one t-shirt and other fun goodies.
All finishers will receive a separate medal for each day; in addition, we give a special medal to those who complete all races in a series.
We even give a special award to each person participating in his or her first full or half marathon!
The best part: The famous caboose, given to the final finisher of each marathon and half marathon!